Sunday, March 15, 2009

Children's Story--I Fail at Life

If inspiration were a well, mine would be bone dry. If inspiration were a human, it would be six feet under right now. Do you get the idea? I have no inspiration. To make matters worse, I have to write a children's story for my writing class and I have no idea what to write about. I don't remember what it was like to think like a child. And while talking to kids, they just make me play Transformers. That doesn't help me come up with story ideas. I don't know any good children-like conflicts. I have some ideas, but I can't build on them. As soon as I open that Word document and the blank page laughs me at saying, "You fail at life. Too bad you aren't that same third-grader that wrote a story about a janitor who stole all the basketballs." Of course, if I remember correctly, I reread that story and I wrote it before I knew that you had to start a new paragraph everytime someone said something. Yeah, it was a big mess. And I can blame my first grade teacher for only letting me four colors of crayons, but that didn't stop me from being creative. In the first grade, I grew hearts with faces and earrings. (Yes, my friend told credit for the idea and I didn't NOT see it as a form of flatery.) I should start with writing about my school lunch. You know, take advice from Anne Lamott.

At any rate, my children's story is due Wednesday. Time is running out and my creativity isn't kicking in.

No comments: