Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sometimes You Need to be Reminded

For a change, my mother and I went to church in Aberdeen today. I think that everyone who has gone to the same church Sunday every Sunday should do this every now and then. Not only because it is fun to leave your comfort zone (and no, I really do not see this as abandoning your church family, because it is just for one Sunday), but because it reminds you what every visitor that comes to your church as an outsider feels like. Where do I sit? What should I do with my coat? Will anyone welcome me? What is the order of their service? Should I stay after and find someone to talk to? What if no one talks to me? I love it. I love not knowing exactly where to sit and what to say and who to say it to. It's also quite fun to see different pastor's styles. Pastor Dav is a very cool guy. He has a fire for God and even though he paces throughout his sermon, he preaches with a zest for the Gospel. It is encouraging to walk into a church with which you are unfamiliar and feel the presence of God and welcoming that comes with knowing you are surrounded by the body of Christ.

When we went on a mission trip to South Africa and Swaziland, the main thing I learned is that the body of Christ is not separated by borders of countries or continents. It is an amazing feeling to go somewhere you have never been and find something in common with those around you because you have a common thread: Christ. You don't just get that feeling with the use of your passport, but you can just hop in the car and go to a church you haven't been to before. When you are a member of the Body of Christ, you are never without family.

No comments: