Monday, December 24, 2007

Year of the Grain of Salt

To “take something with a grain of salt” is to view a statement with a skeptical attitude. (The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition.)

In common parlance, if something is to be taken with a grain of salt, it means that a measure of healthy skepticism should be applied regarding a claim; that it should not be blindly accepted and believed without any doubt or reservation. According to the Oxford English Dictionary "to take 'it' with a grain of salt" means "to accept a thing less than fully". (Wikipedia)
So, I've decided that 2008 will be the year (as if I haven't been before, which I have already been, but still) that everything that I see, hear, or read I will take with a grain of salt. Like, I really enjoy Relevant Magazine, but am a little hesitant when I received the magazine to see Rob Bell on the cover. I don't know. I don't want to stop reading all together, because I love some articles on the Relevant Magazine site and I love the podcast that they have. I don't know. Some things today aren't all the great, but I don't want to stop reading and being informed. That being said, here's some things I'm looking forward to their coming out in 2008:

Why We’re Not Emergent (By Two Guys Who Should Be)
by Kevin DeYoung, Ted Kluck
Sanctus Real We Need Each Other - February 12th
Leeland Opposite Way - February 26th
Anberlin untitled [Universal] -- Summer
There will be more, I'm sure.

Merry Christmas Eve!

No comments: