Thursday, May 29, 2008

From My Uncle Jim

Recently, I got a letter from my uncle Jim. (Click on it to read it, but read this first.) I wasn't expecting it, although I did send out support letters for my Africa trip. (I am going with a group from my church to South Africa in July for ten days; it does come with a large price tag, so I was encouraged by someone to send out support letters.) I should probably explain first that this is my dad's brother. Even though I send out letters to every relative on my dad's side, I wasn't expecting anything (and am not expecting anything from anyone else). You see, if you don't know me very well, my parents are separated. My dad has been really distant and not a part of the last 6 years of my life. Everyone on my dad's side of the family has said they haven't taken sides, but they don't keep in touch with me. I have sent letters to my grandma and aunt, but even when they visit, they don't come over. They came to a play I was in and as soon as it got over, they were the first ones out the door. So, no one on that side of the family is a part of my life much right now. That's why I was happy about this letter. It was unexpected. He doesn't have much money of his own, but he sent me some money still. I really appreciated this letter and found it quite hilarious. I don't agree with everything he says, so don't think that his views are mine, because they aren't. If you giggle a lot while reading it, then my goal was accomplished. My mother and I both laughed while reading this. (And you don't even have to know him to find it funny, because honestly, I hardly know him myself.) It was nice to hear from him. It was nice to know that at least some of my relatives support me.

(P.S. Rev Ike? Tell me that isn't funny.)

1 comment:

CT said...

Wow, I think your resume just grew with that letter. Priest and everything. So do I call you "Father," or what exactly?