Thursday, March 20, 2008

All Babies Want to be Born

I realize that nearly half of pregnancies among American women are unintended; about 4 in 10 of these are terminated by abortion (source). I know that most women who get abortions because they did not want to get pregnant. I know that women who are raped sometimes get pregnant. I know that some of them get abortions. Let me say that I believe that no matter how a women become pregnant, the baby is never to be punished or killed for something they had no control over. Abortion is never okay. There will never be a way that you can justify abortion. Abortion is always murder and it is never okay.

"The circumstances surrounding the conception do not change this simple reality. Rape and abortion share this in common. They are both acts of violent assault against an innocent victim. Aborting a child conceived through rape simply extends this pattern of violence and victimhood. It does not "unrape" the woman, but it will almost certainly increase her regret and misery. Whereas rape is an act of violence for which she bears no responsibility, abortion is an act of violence for which she would be morally culpable. Consider the following email, received by Abort73 on January 19, 2007:

'I just wanted to say that I am so pleased to read your stance on abortion in the case of rape. My mother was a 14-year-old girl who was raped, and she tried to have an abortion. The only reason I am alive today is because the doctor miscalculated her due date and thought she was too far in the pregnancy to have the abortion, when in reality he was a month off (this actually happened twice). It pains me every time I hear even die hard pro-lifers say "except in the case of rape". I know it is traumatizing for a girl or woman that is raped to have to carry a child, but it is no more traumatizing than someone who gets shot during a violent attack and has to deal with those wounds. Counseling and therapy can help heal the trauma, but the trauma will be there whether she has the abortion or not, and the abortion could even make it worse. It has caused me so much anxiety over the years to think that many pro-lifers would have approved of my mother's abortion. By the way, she gave me up for adoption, and my adoptive parents were never able to have children. Thank you so much for this wonderful view against abortion even in the case of rape.'" (source--Abort73)

Human life matters. As Abort73.com says:
"Ultimately, human life matters because God matters, and God is the author of human life (Genesis 2:7). The unique significance of human existence does not stop here, though. Not only did God create human beings, but Genesis 1:26-27 and James 3:9 tell us that God created us in HIs own image. This is huge. It is an honor and responsibility bestowed upon no other creature in all the universe. Even the angels, while bearing a moral responsibility similar to human beings (though without the opportunity for redemption) are never said to have been made in the image of God."
I support Abort73, and am going to order a couple shirts. I know that probably doesn't do much in the grand scheme of things, but I am strongly against abortion and Abort73 is doing some great things. I am going to post the video. I feel strongly about this. I have a friend who doesn't agree with me, but doesn't want to bring it up because she knows it will resort to an argument. Maybe this video will make you think a little bit. Maybe an argument is very, very worth it.


No comments: