Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Once (and My Thoughts On It)



I watched Once. I will say it's an amazing movie. It's rated R for language, because they drop the f-bomb over and over. And while I do think swear words are unnecessary words for people who can't think of something better or more intelligent to say, if you overlook all the swearing, it's a great movie. The songs are great and the story is pretty cool. And when the credits start rolling (and like any girl who searches for short last names, I always watch the credits until the very end), you realize that you have gotten to know these characters without knowing their names. The main characters, named in the credits are "Guy" and "Girl." I will admit, that makes it more brilliant, in a you-didn't-expect-that kind of way. I don't like musicals, for the very reason that there is too much singing (and by the end, I am usually wanting very badly to scream at the screen, "Just say what you're thinking!" despite my being slightly jealous that I am never able to break out into rehearsed dance numbers without people looking at me like I am crazy), but Once is great and you don't really ever think of it as a musical (maybe because it has no rehearsed dance numbers). Best of all, it was a low budget film. And you gotta give props to the low budget filmmakers. Plus, Girl seems to buy her jackets from a men's jacket store, which I will admit isn't too fashionable or pretty, but it totally works for her. All in all, it is a good movie. I would only recommend it if you don't cringe whenever you hear the f-word, if you do cringe, this movie might drive you crazy.

Girl: How come you don't play during daytime? I see you here everyday.
Guy: During the daytime people would want to hear songs that they know, just songs that they recognize. I play these song at night or I wouldn't make any money. People wouldn't listen.
Girl: I listen.

No comments: